Coconut Oil, Training, Chinese Medicine, REAL Food, Spirituality...and everything else in between

krb

Friday, March 26, 2010

Seaweed and Dancing

Apparently Lady Gaga is coming to Denver this summer...I bet that would be an amazing show! Anyways, with the monster test behind me, Im left with all this freedom! It's great...I still have to finish out this trimester with my current classes but I no longer have to study like I was. I came across a new snack tonight at whole foods! I was looking for kelp noodle but found this product called SEA'S GIFT! How cute huh? It is basically just seaweed which I love, but you can eat it plain, put it in salads, or tonight I just added it on top of my eggs and veggies, so good! WHy are sea vegetables like nori, seaweed and kelp important??? Well, let me tell you-
They contain iodine among other nutrients which happen to be very great for thyroid function. I'm sure you have heard about the goiter outbreaks in history right? Well, it usually cropped up in the middle of the U.S. due to there being limited access to seafood being so far away from the ocean. If you have ever wondered why a lot of salt is iodized, that is why. The FDA began iodizing salt in an attempt to stop and prevent goiter. Obviously it is no longer an issue thanks to unlimited access to food from all over the world and yes, iodizing salt did help back then, but there are other ways of obtaining these beneficial nutrients than dousing your food in salt...alas seaweed, nori, kelp, and yes this means SUSHI!!!
What really is more relevant for us today is the fact that many American's do have some sort of suppressed thyroid function. This can wreck havoc on so many other aspects of your health and well-being; energy levels, hormones, sleep cycles, weight fluctuations, and so many others. Apparently in Colorado we have an alarming high incidence of hypothyroidism, which is a low functioning thyroid. This came as a surprise to me as the health of Coloradans is usually in the top 5 of the country, so I will have to do some more investigating as to why this is. Anyways, instead of taking thyroid enhancing drugs which your body becomes addicted to why not add in thyroid friendly foods such as sea vegetables! They are inexpensive, versatile, and fun! This is only one thing you can do to naturally improve the health of your thyroid, I will feature other ideas in the future. Til then, eat your sushi!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment