Coconut Oil, Training, Chinese Medicine, REAL Food, Spirituality...and everything else in between

krb

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Why is Coconut Oil So Beneficial?!

Well, I personally have been in love with anything coconut my whole life, I just simply love it. It reminds me of the beach, the sun, sun tan lotion, etc. etc. My Mom said I had to have everything be coconut as I was growing up, chapstick, lotion, shampoo, you name it. It drove her nuts and she hated the smell of coconut:( That is til I got her on the coconut oil bandwagon!
So why is coconut oil so great? I thought it was "BAD" for you, I thought that it was all saturated fat, my doctor told me not to eat it or any saturated fats...you may be asking these ?'s and possibly more...
Well, did it ever occur to you that our bodies need and want saturated fat? Even our hormones and parts of our brains are composed of saturated fat. ANd have you looked around lately? Ever since we have have been decontructing our natural foods and started eating out of boxes and eating fat free this and fat free that, the rates of obesity, diabetes, depression, and the like have increased substantially. So, why do we continue to take perfectly good food and rip it apart of all of it's vital nutrients. In a way it's like we're trying to play God. Do you really think that God, the Universe, Allah, Buddha, would put food on this Earth if it was meant to harm us? I don't think so...
SO what makes coconut oil so special?
-contains Lauric acid, capric acid and monolaurin which are antimicrobial agents which have been shown to help the stop or prevent the growth of many dangerous viruses and bacteria, this is great as many viruses/infections are becoming hard to treat due to antibiotic resistance.
-Coconut oil has been shown to decrease total cholesterol, triglycerides(fats), phospholipids, and low density lipoproteins (LDL), the "bad" cholesterol
-It has also been shown to increase high-density lipoprotein (HDL), which is the "GOOD" cholesterol
-Coconut oil also has the ability to prevent oxidation of LDL, oxidation is a process which will eventually lead to atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries which can lead to heart attacks, heart disease, etc.)
-Improves nutrient absorption which can help prevent osteoporosis, malnutrition, etc. It increases the absorption of minerals (calcium, magnesium, etc.), B-vitamins, fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K), Beta Carotene, and some amino acids.
-Used topically or internally to treat skin disorders such as eczema, hives, shingles, dry skin, fungal infections-athlete's foot, ring worm, yeast infections, etc.
-ALso helps the healing of cuts, burns, etc. It has been traditionally used on the islands as a sunscreen!

But what really sets it apart from other oils???
They contain MEDIUM-CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES!!!
Most oils contain long-chained trig
-Medium-Chained Triglycerides are broken down differently in the body, they are used for energy production rather than being stored as body fat or deposited in arteries.
-They produce energy vs. fat
-MCT are digested quickly in the body eliminating the need for pancreatic enzymes to break them down, this sends them straight to the liver to be used for fuel whereas most other fats have to be broken down and end up circulating the bloodstream which can lead to increased blood cholesterol, heart disease, etc.
-Because of this efficient-energy producing process, it makes it more thermic in the body which is great for people who want to lose weight.

For me, I love the taste, flavor and texture! It makes my skin feel great, stabilizes my blood sugar and simply just makes me feel great. I've been using it for about 6 years or so on a regular basis and have seen dramatic improvements in many areas of my health.

You can also experiment with other coconut products such as coconut flour and coconut milk. Coconut flour is high in fiber, low in carbs, and bakes up awesome! In addition, coconut water is great for a past workout refreshment, it is known as nature's gatorade! Very delicious and thirst quenching too.

I like to get quality products,but also like to save $$$. Organic really is better with coconut oil, the taste and texture is much better and also it ensures the oil is pure and has not been tampered with. WHole FOods has a 365 brand that I really like, it's located in the oil section of the store, super cheap too. I also like Nature's Way, I just like the consistency and flavor a lot. There are many other brands out there as well, in stores and online. But I dont think you have to sell your car in order to get a good quality coconut oil:)

No comments:

Post a Comment